Full-Festive

I'm a Christmas person. I have always been a Christmas person, and anyone who has ever met me would be able to tell you as much. The past couple of years, however, I have been a little more subdued about it than I would normally be. It probably has something to do with working in a pub where Christmas starts much earlier due to festive bookings and so on, and especially when you end up working on Christmas Day some of the enjoyment can be stripped away. However, I don't work at the pub anymore, and this year Jack and I have gone what I like to call 'full-festive'.

We're steadily making our way through the Christmas movies with the fire on and candles and the tree lights making it the coziest we can get it. Mulled cider is currently an important part of our diet and I am listening to festive music almost exclusively. I'm mostly prepared for the big day, I think I only need a couple more things so I've just got wrapping to do now really. 

We thought we'd give some festive booze a go so we went to Ikea the other day to get mason jars and little bottles. Now, I had never been to Ikea before (or if I have, I don't remember it at all), so I was quite looking forward to it, although Jack warned me not to get my hopes up.
I said, "Why not, what's wrong with it?" 
He just shrugged and said, "It's the layout really, it's awful. You'll see."
"It can't be that bad," I scoffed whilst Jack gave a knowing smile. Oh how naive I was.

Ikea, if you haven't had the pleasure, is sort of how I imagine Purgatory to be. You can't go straight to the main shop bit to just get what you want; you have to walk through all the showrooms first, following the arrows around and trying to avoid being run down by people with giant trolleys and/or pushchairs (aka: battering rams). Every time we rounded a corner and I expected to be nearer the end of the showrooms, there was more. Bedrooms, kitchens, dining rooms, miscellaneous furniture, you name it. It was there. And if I was trying to furnish a house perhaps I would have enjoyed the experience more, but all we needed was mason jars and it took fifteen minutes just to get to the general shop bit where they were. As soon as we found them, it was another ordeal to get to the tills. We kept following the signs that said which way the tills were, but every time I expected them to be, y'know, there, they were conspicuously absent. By the time they eventually came into view, it felt like the closer we got to them, the further away they seemed, there were so many obstacles in the way. There were no windows in there either, I couldn't tell how much time had gone by. We could have been in there for weeks for all I knew. I thought I'd never see the light of day again.

But this tale has a happy ending, because we made it out in one piece, and there are currently mason jars full of booze and other stuff infusing away happily in the utility room. I don't know what they'll be like when they're ready, but it's alcohol so I doubt there'll be many complaints.

Song of the Day: Fuselage (It's Starting To Look Like Christmas Once Again) by Centro-Matic


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...