Procrastination

My main problem with writing is that I’m a terrible procrastinator. I know that I’m not the only one – I think pretty much everyone is guilty of procrastination. I used to be terrible when I was writing essays at university. I always got them done of course, but I managed to drag out the process for much longer than needed with the amount of times I’d stop writing to do something else, like the washing up or tidying the flat. I remember when it was the week my dissertation was due in and I was trying to get it finished, my friend rang me to see if I wanted to go to Morrisons with her, and despite not needing anything, plus being well aware that I needed to be spending all my time on getting it finished, I decided that going to Morrisons was a great idea. 



Obviously, any writing I’m doing at the moment has no deadline, unless I set one for myself. I have no one to answer to, and no obligations, so it’s much less guilt-inducing when I allow myself to be distracted. Another problem of mine is that I seem to suffer from a false sense of accomplishment. I’ll write a paragraph or two, give myself a big pat on the back and decide I’ve done enough to deserve a reward, which could be anything from having a cup of tea, to giving myself the rest of the night off and watching a movie. 


It's looking very likely that I'll be starting a long distance writing course soon, and although I'm allowed four years to complete it, I really don't want to take that long, so it's going to be important for me to make myself some kind of timetable that fits around work. Sticking to personally set timetables has always been an issue for me but I think in this case I'll really be able to sort something that works. Of course there'll undoubtedly be a little bit of procrastinating, but hey, I'm only human.

Cardigan: Miss Selfridge
Jumper Dress: Dorothy Perkins
Boots: New Look

Song of the Day: Don't You Forget About Me by The Wind & The Wave. The original is one of my favourite songs but this is a really good version.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same but hey, a little procrastination won't hurt :) Lovely outfit x

    http://splasheswithfabulosity.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/day-in-city-haul_14.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...