2013 Favourites

As we've started a brand new year, I thought I'd do a little round-up of my favourite things from 2013.

Outfit Posts
In general this was quite a disappointing year in terms of outfits because I didn't blog nearly as many as I would have liked to. A lot of my favourite items of clothing from 2013 actually didn't feature on the Emma Wears blog at all. But of the few posts that did go up, these were my favourites.



1. It's still sunny
2. Hey there!
3. Winter's back
4. Maxi skirts

Movies 
Some of these are movies that came out in 2013, and there's a few others that I just watched for the first time last year. I saw quite a lot, but these are the ones that stand out (for good reasons!).

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) - I was a little bit wary of this initially because I thought they might move some of the plot into the next film as it's going to be split into two, so I thought it might be really slow moving with not much happening. Happily, I loved it. It was much better than the first film (which I enjoyed anyway). I'm just a bit worried about Mockingjay now though because I didn't enjoy the book as much as the first two! 

Frozen (2013) - Pixar's latest offering. I absolutely loved it, possibly on a par with how much I loved Tangled (which is a lot!) Just your standard really good fun disney film.

Monster's University (2013) - Well worth the wait. It's the supporting characters in this that make it so great.

Blackfish (2013) - This is a documentary about Tilikum, the Killer Whale at Seaworld who killed one of the trainers. It examines how safe you realistically can ever be when you work so closely with an animal in it's own environment, but even more than that it just shows what a shady company Seaworld is in general. Well worth a watch, definitely an eye-opener if you were ever thinking of going to Seaworld.

Thor 2 (2013) - I love the comic book movie adaptations (well, most of them), and this sequel was great, everything you need from a trip to the cinema really!

Warm Bodies (2013) - I really love zombie movies, and this one is a lovely different take on the standard zombie movies. It's also got a cracking soundtrack.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (2011) - This is cheating a bit because I technically watched this in 2014, but I'm including it anyway. Just a really lovely little film. Plus, Ewan McGregor.

Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2 (2010 and 2013) - I was a bit late to the party with Despicable Me because I didn't get around to watching even the first one until quite late this year, but now it's one of my all time favourites, and the second one is just as good. I've even got a minion phone cover now.

Like Crazy (2011) - This follows the love story of a couple who get separated after Anna overstays her visa in America to be with him and then gets deported. It's not always particularly uplifting, but it's really well written and I really enjoyed it.

Also, honourable mention goes to The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013). It's fantastic. Obviously, there's extra plot details that are nowhere in the book and it's constantly trying to link to Lord of the Rings, but you've just got to embrace the waffley-ness (definitely a word) and enjoy the ride. Plus Smaug is genuinely quite terrifying.

T.V. Shows
Firefly - Just think of it as cowboys in space. I started watching this on Netflix last year and I became hooked, so I was bitterly disappointed when I realised it only ran for one series before getting cancelled. There's a film too, Serenity which kind of gives you some kind of closure.

Adventure Time  - A cartoon about a boy, Finn and his best friend Jake, a talking and magical dog. It's wonderfully weird and funny, and if you pay attention properly it also has important life lessons.

Game of Thrones - I fully jumped on the GoT bandwagon in 2013 and cannot wait until the next series comes out. When will that be?!

The Walking Dead - I'm relatively new to this show. I'd wanted to give it a try for a while (because Zombies, obviously) but just never ended up getting around to it. I'm only just over halfway through series 2 so I've got a lot of catching up to do but it really is compulsive watching.

New Girl - This really is one of the best sitcoms to come out in ages. Just really light hearted and funny, and none of the characters annoy me which makes a change.

The Office (U.S) - I feel like if I was to do this kind of a round-up every year, The Office would make it back onto the list every year too. I can re-watch episode after episode and not get bored, I love it so much. 

Modern Family - Phil Dunphy. Need I say more?

Books
I'm not going to say anything about these, you should read them for yourselves, so just take these as my recommendations.

The Fault in our Stars by John Green
The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Divergent by Veronica Roth
The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan
The Loop by Nicholas Evans

Music
Bands/Artists: London Grammar, Kodaline, Bastille, The Civil Wars, Frank Turner, Gabrielle Aplin, The 1975, Two Door Cinema Club, Paramore, Tegan and Sara, Alex Winston.

Songs:
Shell Suite - Chad Valley
Be The Song - Foy Vance
Close Your Eyes - Young Love
Polaroid Picture - Frank Turner
Flickers - London Grammar
Brand New Day - Kodaline
Flaws - Bastille
C O O L - Le Youth
Another Love - Tom Odell
Two Fingers - Jake Bugg
Home - BriBry

Aaaaaand, I think that will do.

Song of the Day: The Mother We Share by CHVRCHES
Currently Reading: Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...