Apocalypse

Morning. I hope everyone enjoyed their extra hour in bed yesterday morning. I definitely did. I have a delivery coming today, I don't know what time except that it will be before 3pm, so I got up at 8 and I'm currently snuggled on the sofa with a cup of coffee and watching Frasier. Bliss.

What I wanted to talk about today is that Derren Brown Apocalypse show that's been on channel 4. I missed it on Friday because I was at work but when I got home last night I watched it because I was genuinely curious to see how it would go. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, Derren Brown (that hypnotist guy) basically selected someone who he thought was the right candidate and convinced him that he was living in a zombie apocalypse caused by a meteor collision. The whole premise of this is obviously completely ridiculous, not to mention a pretty horrific thing to put someone through. I can't quite make my mind up over how legitimate I think it is, because to be honest I'm a massive skeptic when it comes to hypnotism, but at certain times I definitely felt convinced just by how genuinely terrified this poor guy seemed to be. The jury's still out at the moment though. I'm such a cynic.

My main problem with the whole thing is how Derren Brown thinks that by doing this to the poor lad he's somehow helping him live a better life and learn to not take his friends and family for granted, because he's decided that this guy is selfish and lazy and not making the most out of his life. It's so self-righteous. OK, fair enough in the few clips we were shown of him being secretly filmed at home, he did seem lazy and selfish, and I did feel a bit sorry for his mum because she said she wanted him to love her a bit more, but he certainly didn't seem like a terrible human being who deserved to actually be forced to live through what's shaping up to be an amalgamation of every zombie movie ever made. Also, he's only 21 years old, and who's honestly got their life together by the time they're 21? I just wanted to give him a hug and tell him everything was going to be alright through most of it, I felt so sorry for him.

Anyway, it concludes on Friday when I'm at work again, but I think I'll definitely have to watch it afterwards, maybe I'll be able to decide if I think it's real or whether I think this guy is just an actor (albeit a pretty good one). 

Song of the Day: Maps by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Currently reading: We Need To Talk About Kevin

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...