Plans

I can't get over how nice the weather is. It's gloriously sunny, not a cloud in the sky, and I'm stuck inside, pretending to write some of my dissertation but actually emailing my Mum and writing this instead. Priorities.

I got my semester one exam results this morning and on the whole I'm pretty pleased. My university has a cascade system where you can see what marks you'd need to get in your last modules in order to get a 2:1 (or a First, or whatever you're aiming for). I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to realistically get a 2:1, but thanks to the cascade system I have discovered that a 2:1 is well within my grasps. I feel confident now that I am going to pass my degree and graduate, which (considering I re-took my first year) is an unbelievable feeling. Now it's just up to me whether I get a 2:1 or a 2:2 (I think I'd have to have a bit of a disaster to get any less than that, which is really good news). 

All of this is getting me really excited for summer. I've already made a summer playlist on my iTunes (yes, I'm aware it's March), but the sun has me thinking it's hotter than it is outside. Anyway, it's really not that far off. I don't have any plans for summer yet; I would like to get a job, but I don't know if travelling is on the cards at some point or not. It's all up in the air at the moment, but I like the thought that anything could happen. I know a lot of people who hate the idea of leaving university, but honestly I couldn't be happier that it's coming to an end. Maybe it's because I've been here a year longer than I should have been, I'm not really sure. I just know that I feel really ready to move on and do something else.

What I really want to do is go and live in Australia. I don't mean just go out there for a year or so and travel around, but I mean I want to actually live there, have a house and a job and everything. I spent Christmas 2008 in Sydney with my family, and it was so awesome. It just seems like a much better standard of living, amazing weather, beautiful scenery, all that jazz. I feel like it's somewhere that I could be very happy. The only trouble is that it's a really long way away from family and friends, there's a huge time difference, and I don't really have any money...you know, little problems. I think I could be happy staying in the UK as well though, as long as it was the right location. It'll always be home to me, and I love it. 

I always thought I'd settle in the UK eventually, because I've already lived abroad, and I remember when I left Saudi I was so ready to come back home. But it's been 5 years, nearly 6 (wow, I feel old) since I left Saudi now, and I never thought I'd miss it quite as much as I do. I think it's more the people, and the memories of the times we had that I miss, more than the actual place, but sometimes I do wish I could go back. It wouldn't be the same though; my parents don't live in the same house that they did when I was there, none of my friends are there anymore, and it would just be...different.

The way things are in the UK at the minute make me want to leave, anyway - all the 'doom and gloom', poor job prospects for post-grads - it doesn't sound like a nice place to be at the moment. Maybe I'll win the Euro-millions and then I'll be sorted. 

Perhaps Australia is just a pipe-dream. We'll see. Either way, new things are coming and I can't wait. To show you what a massive nerd I am, this has reminded me of a Lord of the Rings quote which I thought was very apt:

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might get swept off to."

Shut up, I'm really cool! Anyway, here's a photo of me and my brother when we did the Sydney Bridge climb. I think it's my favourite photo of me and James. 




Today I'm loving: That my results have given me back my faith in my ability to pass my degree.

Today I'm hatin': That I still have to actually write my dissertation in order to finish university.

Song of the Day: Roll To Me by Del Amitri
Look around your world pretty baby/Is it everything you hoped it'd be?/The wrong guy, the wrong situation/The right time to roll to me

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...