Merry Love Day

There's a lot of hatred for Valentines Day, isn't there? I don't understand why so many people are vehemently opposed to it. And yes, I know it's easy for me to say that because I'm in a relationship, but it's not just single people who hate it; I know several people in relationships who hate Valentines Day just as much, if not more.

Arguments against it are things like this:
  1. It's been over-hyped by card companies to make more money.
  2. It's a day designed to make single people feel shit about themselves.
  3. You shouldn't need a specific day to do something romantic for your partner.
Ah crap, I had more but I can't remember them right now. Anyway, you get the general point.

Firstly, of course it's been over-hyped by card companies. You can hardly expect them to ignore the fact that the whole day exists - it would be downright irresponsible for them from a business point of view. You can't escape all the advertising, cheesy cards, and happy smiling couples professing their love for each other over facebook, so you might as well embrace it and try and enjoy yourself.

Secondly, it's not designed to make single people feel bad, so stop going on about it because it makes you sound bitter and twisted. Especially as (in my experience) most of the people who exhibit this self-deprecating behaviour on Valentine's Day are actually the worst culprits of shoving relationships in peoples faces when they are in one.

And thirdly, no you don't need a specific day to spoil your partner, but isn't it nice to have one? Very few people have the time or money to constantly think up spontaneous and/or romantic surprises for their significant other, so it's actually quite nice to have this one day set aside. It takes the pressure off a bit, if you think about it. That's not to say that you should only do nice things on Valentine's Day, but you certainly shouldn't ignore it. The people who are in relationships but who don't do anything for Valentine's Day out of principle because it's "not a real holiday" are just plain mean.

Oh, and if you're single, do something with your friends, have a girls night (I doubt boys care as much). Stop shitting over everyone else's happiness.

Tonight, I'm off out for a meal courtesy of my lovely boyfriend, and then we're going to eat the Thorntons chocolates I bought and watch Glee. Perfic'.

Here's some funnies that I found. Enjoy them, I did.








I found them on Google Images.

Today I'm loving: The sunshine and the fact that I'm getting a free meal tonight.

Today I'm hatin': Haters.

Song of the Day: Going Away To College by Blink-182. Chosen because it has the word 'valentine' in it.
I haven't been this scared/In a long time/And I'm so unprepared/So here's your valentine/Bouquet of clumsy words/A simple melody/This world's an ugly place/But you're so beautiful to me

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...